Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Simple Prayers: Wherever You Go

My daughter Katie, who lives in Orange County, recently joined the UU fellowship in Anaheim. Katie’s in her early 40s and has two young children. Her midlife return to the liberal religion of her youth, though somewhat predictable, nevertheless, pleases me.  My chosen faith is now her chosen faith.

She's become quite involved in her little congregation. She teaches religious education and is on the religious education committee. She's a worship assistant, too.

Now when we talk, the theme is frequently about religion. True to her upbringing, she's an explorer and has eclectic tastes. I'm proud to say, she's her father's daughter.

In one of our conversations she revealed that now and again she prays. So, last Christmas, I compiled a book for her titled Simple Prayers.  Its  brief introduction describes prayer as a means to self- transcendence. The actual prayers are 10 mantra like utterances – each featuring an attribute of the Divine. I also included blank lined pages for recording prayer experiences – prayer journal.

I used the on-demand resources of Create Space, an Amazon subsidiary. I chose a distinctive format, 8 1/4 inch square. The cover illustration was a gnarly old white church door, inviting entry to sacred space.

I liked the end product so much in content and attractiveness,  I made it available for sale as a paperback book on Create Space and Amazon.  Now, I'm making it available in the e-book marketplace. It's on (or soon will be on)  Amazon.com as well as Lulu.com – another online publisher.  The Lulu edition can be read on a variety of popular readers.

Here's my marketing copy:

Simple Prayers is a unique guide, reducing the practice of prayer to its very essence as a private act with powerful affect. In an extraordinary economy of words, the ten prayers touch varied aspects of human aspiration and need.

Created by a seasoned Unitarian minister known for his practical approach to the contemporary spirituality, these simple prayers address aspects of the Universal. It is a suitable resource for persons of all faiths and persuasions.

As a teaser, I present the first Simple Prayer:
1
Providence,
My gratitude is boundless.

Now available as an Amazon Kindle book or in a Lulu e-book edition: Simple Prayers: Wherever You Go. Only $1.99.

No comments: