Search This Blog

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Barack Obama and Same-Sex Marriage

Barack Obama personally opposes same-sex marriage on religious grounds. In 2004, while running for the Senate, he said, “I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

According to an article in today's New York Times he's not doctrinaire about same-sex mariage. He also acknowledges he might be wrong about this, relative to his religious beliefs, just as he might be wrong about where his faith takes him regarding reproductive choice.

In my estimation this punctuates what I've been saying for some months, that Barack Obama, if elected, would prove to be the most religious president since Woodrow Wilson. His words suggest that he's informed by his religious beliefs. Yet he acknowledges a curious tentativeness about that faith: he might be wrong and he acknowledges that in a secular setting faith has certain limits relative to policy.

No comments: