Search This Blog

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Barack Obama's Prayer


Last week, while visiting the Western Wall in Jerusalem, Barack Obama followed the custom of placing a note between the stones. Someone pilfered the note, handwritten on hotel stationery, and made available to the press the following prayer:

Lord,

Protect my family and me. Forgive my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will.

The publication of the prayer raises issues of sacrilege: violating an act of private prayer as well as the sacred space that is the Western Wall. Some have questioned whether or not this was a ploy by the Obama camp in the first place. Bloggers and media commentators have scrutinized every word, including the non-capitalization of the word your, for theological and personal implications, regarding Mr. Obama.

In my estimation
this brief utterance will be imprinted on our collective consciousness, if Mr. Obama is elected president. Because of its brevity and manifest implications, it is memorable. I continue to emphasize that Mr. Obama is integrally more religious than any presidential candidate since Woodrow Wilson. I welcome this additional glimpse into his religious character.


No comments: