Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2008

A Fitting Nod to Science

David Brooks in the May 13, 2008 New York Times, published an Op-Ed piece, "The Neural Buddhists." Mr. Brooks considered the effect science has had on religion in the last decade. He focused on how science's materialism had shaped the atheist/theist debate.

He concluded, "
In unexpected ways, science and mysticism are joining hands and reinforcing each other. That’s bound to lead to new movements that emphasize self-transcendence but put little stock in divine law or revelation. Orthodox believers are going to have to defend particular doctrines and particular biblical teachings. They’re going to have to defend the idea of a personal God, and explain why specific theologies are true guides for behavior day to day. I’m not qualified to take sides, believe me. I’m just trying to anticipate which way the debate is headed. We’re in the middle of a scientific revolution. It’s going to have big cultural effects."

In my estimation Mr. Brooks is one of the more informed and tempered opiners on the conservative side. He reaches conclusions I don't generally agree with, but which I find reasonable. However, I usually find his garnering of facts similar to my own. This opinion piece fairly estimates contemporary science's impact on contemporary religion. I'm pleased Mr. Brooks recognizes these are revolutionary days for American culture, relative to science and religion.

No comments: